eia non reactive, then reactive, then the third time do not know.

Dr. Wohl,

I know you are a very busy person, just please take ten to fifteen minutes of your time and please read my post and answer me if i need anything else.

I am not being able to put this behind me, especially when my kids eia test was non reactive(6 weeks after the incident) the first time and then the second time her eia was reactive(5months 20 days) after the incident, the western blot was negative.

the third time 1 year after the contamination incident, the pediatrician told he is just ordering confirmatory tests that is western blots for hiv1, hiv2 and it came out negative. He also ordered a PCR for HIV 1 Quant PCR was ordered and it just says normal. Is that ok? Normal means negative right? HIV 1 Viral Copy <20 copies/ml and HIV 1 Viral Log < 1.301 LOG COPY/ML. It does not say anything else like RNA or DNA.

The person who was drawing the blood had blood on his hands and was transfering blood to everything he was touching. he should have washed his hands prior to drawing blood on my daughter. So basically previous persons blood was there, where the blood was drawn so needle was basically poked on top of the previous patients blood into my daughter's blood stream. I have seen lot of blood stains on the torniquet and then even in the document he gave me back it had all the blood marks, and the blood also was on his hands and then he opened the syringe, later the blood was on my daughter arm, where the needle was being poked to draw the blood, but i did not see that part, because i was kissing my daughter. I always thought that the tourniquet does not come into contact where the blood was drawn, but it did because for a small kid the muscle area where torniquet is put and where the blood is drawn are pretty much very close by and it also came into contact before, at the area where the blood was drawn.

The document had all blood stains the one he gave to me and that is the document i gave him for the appointment, which was given by my actual pediatrician and was referred to a genetist.

The guy was a very old guy and he was wearing spectacles, he asked me to tell my daughter saying that it will pain, so i was kissing my daughter who was lying on the bench, and not noticed what happened. The blood was dripping from the tourniquette.

So she got in contact with a previous patients blood at a genetic clinic.

See the pattern of the events and the night mare we went through. I told my pediatrician and she also got worried and tested her for some of these blood borne diseases. So basically the blood came into the hands from the torniquet and was transfering the blood everywhere including at the spot where the blood was drawn. }}} In short previous patients blood came in contact, and unfortunately it got injected at the spot where it was dr

My pediatrician also was upset saying that he should not have done like that, and she told me that i should have stopped it. I know it is my mistake as well.

{{{This is about my 3 yr old who had a needle blood contamination incident in a genetic clinic.

If there was nothing Dr. , i would never have even thought of a test. It all happened in front of me. and then those ongoing symptoms of one year symptoms of cold, cough(20 days a month). Before that incident i rarely used to take her to a doctor once every six months. I also mentioned earlier 3 days after the incident she had very high fever for couple of days, which i have never seen earlier and also 15 days later she had one more episode of very high fever. From last two months she is doing better, meaning only ten days of lighter episodes of runny nose and cough. From three, four months back she got that white spot, the dermatologist told that it is Vitiligo.

Dr, The main thing that bothers me at this point of time is only one thing which is that the EIA was first time non reactive at 6 weeks after the incident, then EIA was reactive 5 months 20 days after the incident, third time only a straight western blot was ordered.

So the reactive EIA bothers me a lot. I am taking medication for depression after talking to my general physician.

So i was reading about the possible causes of a reactive EIA, sometimes the reasons are due to simple things like flu, flu shot, immunizations etc, sometimes they are due to some other big things like if the person has syphilis or lupus or lyme disease or someother major infection.

I know she had flu just days before she had the test. But she has immunizations 8 months before the test. If at all if immunizations caused a reactive EIA, it should have caused in the first test also(which was done 6 weeks after the incident).

a) Can Vitiligo sometimes be a vague diagnosis and do you think that white spot on the thumb is something else like syphilis or something else? Actually after the pediatric dermatologist gave the topicor cream, the small white spot on her thumb on the skin side has reduced by 50 percent, now it will be the size of 1/4th of a penny. Do you suspect anything? I do not know as to first of all where the vitiligo came from and at this age. She is not born with it. Neither me nor my wife has it and we are perfectly healthy.

b) Should i get her tested for any other blood borne diseases which can result by a blood to blood contamination?

c) I am not sure what the five small pen dot size brown spots are, i think it is pigmentation, but will have it checked with our pediatrician. Do you suspect anything here?

d) I am still worried as to if i need to get a PCR for HIV2, because i am not sure if she is severely immunodeficient and if her western blot for hiv2 test is reliable. I am not worried about hiv1 because a hiv 1 pcr quant has been ordered and the result it says Normal, HIV 1 Viral Copy <20 copies/ml and HIV 1 Viral Log < 1.301 LOG COPY/ML. Normal means negative right Dr Young? e) Do you think she is severely immunodeficient based on her continous cold and cough, and you know the budasonide and QVAR the inhaled steriods she uses for the cough and cold treatment? and if she is immunodeficient then are her HIV antibody tests truly negative and her hepatitis tests truly negative? Even the day before her test also she used budasonide as she has cough.

e) How prevalent is HIV2 in the United States? Should i worry about any rare variants like B or hiv 2 or something else, because in the body.com they mentioned, like if the screening is reactive and western blot is negative, then Patients who are repeatedly reactive in the HIV 1, 2 and O screening assay, but negative or indeterminate by Western blot with a clinical, epidemiologic, or laboratory history that suggests HIV-2 or non-B subtype infection may need additional testing with specific supplemental assays for those HIV variants. Should i get any of these test done? Should i be worried about this.

f) Do you recommend me to get a simple EIA test this time for hiv1 and hiv2 and see if this time it comes non reactive? I am very worried. g) Dr. in the Quest diagnostics page i have seen this is recommended for people with reactive eia and negative western blots.

Should i get this HIV 1 RNA Qualitative TMA test done? It mentions as so in the Quest site under the test "Individuals Suitable for Testing Individuals having a known or potential exposure to HIV-1 in the previous 12 weeks Individuals whose HIV-1 antibody test results are either 1) negative or 2) positive by EIA and negative or indeterminant by Western blot4,5 Method Qualitative transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)"

Thank you.

The teasing shows conclusively that there was no transmission. The more test you do the more of a risk of a false positive. The viral load and negative western blots prove it all. Plus the exposure was not really anything that I would consider worrisome.

CDC Risk Chart
Molluscum question 30-Aug: thanks to Dr. Wohl