Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Secondary syphllis skin contact
Sep 5, 2012

Hello,

I noticed rashes on my skin (belly and chest) on a Saturday. Knowing that I was at risk for STDs, I went tested and my results came back positive for syphillis. Doctor showed me rashes I did not even have noticed, like on hands and feet.

After consultation, I almost went crazy, because I only then remembered that I've changed my nephew's diapers on the Thursday just before the day I noticed my rash.

Question is: if I had rashes on the palm of my hands, would I be contagious for the baby for changing his diapers, applying ointment on his genitals, etc?

Thank you.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It is possible that the rash on your hands could transmit the bacteria. It would be more likely in the case where you were rubbing someone's skin vigorously.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there

I agree with Mr. Cordova that this is possible but unlikely. If one of the sores from your rash rubbed off onto the babies body while you were diaper changing, then the bacteria would also need to somehow get near his moist membranes or any cuts in his skin. Since you didn't notice the rash that day, this is even more unlikely. Take care, LHW

Previous
Interesting question, just need a doctors advice on it
Next
what is hiv virus lifetime

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.