Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and Syphilis from a lap dance
Aug 31, 2012

I am confused about HIV and Syphilis co-infection. 1 month ago I had a lap dance. No protection was used and genital to genital contact did occur but only briefly. I am now feeling many of the symptoms of Syphillis and am worried about HIV also...sore throat, extreme tiredness, pimple like rash on trunk, white dots and a sore on my lip. Earlier I had some small painless blisters on my penis but they have since disappeared. Am i at risk for HIV? How are syphilis and HIV related? Could I be infected with both at once?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I can say immediately that there is no risk for HIV from the situation you're describing. In terms of Syphilis, I'm confused by your statement "genital to genital contact did occur but only briefly." Syphilis is transmitted through direct genital to genital contact, but that contact is rubbing (usually aggressive rubbing) that happens during sex. The question is whether or not this happened with you..

Because it's unclear, your best move to understand your status is to get tested for Syphilis. You can get this done at your next physical or seek out a community clinic to help you out.

Symptoms are not a good way to know whether or not someone has something like Syphilis. This is because some of the symptoms are so general (like the "rash").

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Have I infected him?
Next
Dating-HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.