HIV and Syphilis from a lap dance

I am confused about HIV and Syphilis co-infection. 1 month ago I had a lap dance. No protection was used and genital to genital contact did occur but only briefly. I am now feeling many of the symptoms of Syphillis and am worried about HIV also...sore throat, extreme tiredness, pimple like rash on trunk, white dots and a sore on my lip. Earlier I had some small painless blisters on my penis but they have since disappeared. Am i at risk for HIV? How are syphilis and HIV related? Could I be infected with both at once?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

I can say immediately that there is no risk for HIV from the situation you're describing. In terms of Syphilis, I'm confused by your statement "genital to genital contact did occur but only briefly." Syphilis is transmitted through direct genital to genital contact, but that contact is rubbing (usually aggressive rubbing) that happens during sex. The question is whether or not this happened with you..

Because it's unclear, your best move to understand your status is to get tested for Syphilis. You can get this done at your next physical or seek out a community clinic to help you out.

Symptoms are not a good way to know whether or not someone has something like Syphilis. This is because some of the symptoms are so general (like the "rash").

Hope this helps!

Erik

Have I infected him?
Dating-HIV