HIV transmission by dry humping

Hi Doc, Requesting to please answer my query I have regarding the transmission of HIV during a dry humping, I and my girlfriend had dry humping with my underwear on as I read on your forum that dry humping is safe!!! during the process of dry humping I ejaculated in my underwear...after which I moved away and was lying on back...within a minute she came on top of me and she was completely naked and starting to dry hump again...My concern is my underwear was wet because of ejaculation, so was thinking probably my wet fluid on the underwear might have come in contact with her vagina..There was no penile-vaginal penetration....I don't know my HIV status and the last time I had sex was seven years back which was an protected one ...as I always have this HIV fear..so abstained from having sex all this years..assuming I was HIV+ what is the risk for my girlfriend??...worried and depressed that I might have exposed her to HIV...as I had a telephonic chat with her day before yesterday and she was down with very bad cold, dry cough and sore throat..although a week back I was down with bad cold with dry cough and running nose and was there with her physically for whole day ..tried to keep a distance between us because of my cold..but we kissed for a minute as she wanted to kiss me despite my cold...so freaked out since our dry humping incident was exactly 24 days back..so was wondering whether the symptoms she was having was ARS or common cold??...I will be taking my HIV test soon...but as of now wanted to know whether dry humping will put my girlfriend in any sort of HIV risk.... Depressed and worried..love her very much and will break up with her if I am tested HIV+....please reply to my query..

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there There is really no possible way for HIV to cross through 1 or more layers of fabric and infect another person. This is known as "dry humping" whether or not you ejaculated or not. If that was a possiblity, half the population in the world would be infected already. Contrary to popular belief, HIV is a relatively hard virus to get. There needs to be a significant amount of HIV infected body fluid passing from one person's body directly/immediately into another person's body. This is why unprotected penetration is essential. It's only during this that significant amount of HIV infected body fluid will get pushed up inside your penis. I think it is a great idea for you to get tested to ease your anxiety and allow yourself to be in healthy relationship with your girlfriend. Take care, LHW

HIV with condom on?
PrEP supplement