Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ars Symtoms High Exposure
Aug 26, 2012

I am a 20 year old female with what I suspect to be Genital Herpes (haven't been tested but it's textbook signs, I also have HPV) I met a guy who I do not know his blood status. We went to a party where he got into a fight, mouth got all bloody and cut up. Well 2 days later, we got drunk and he performed oral on me there was no visible blood, and there was it no sex. I was also making out with him. I had had a little tickle or itch down there and that normally means im about to have a little lesion. Well this was July 28th. A while after that i had gotten a little itchy ears and sore throat but that lasted like 4 days tops. Then, I woke up a couple days after that and my upper right back, my neck and my right arm including armpit were so sore and stayed that way for almost 2 weeks. Then around August 8th, My back had started hurting horribly. I thought this just to be my period since i was about to start. Then around 2-3 weeks I got REALLY bad back pain along with upper thigh pain behind the legs, chills, night sweats, fatigue nausea, no appetite and my hands and feet kind of felt like they were on fire. I went and got a rapid HIV from planned parenthood and that came back negative, but that was only after 23 days, I am now writing on the 25th day. I know for a fact that the test was a Uni-Gold 3rd generation. yesterday I did go to the hospital because I didnt eat for 2 days I thought maybe i had mono....but my blood results came back and my WBC was normal my doc said none of my lymph nodes were swollen and he said all my blood results were normal. He did not run an HIV and I didnt get the results from my mono back because they only did them mon wed and fri but they didnt call me back so i guess it was neg. I'm going to morrow to try and get a HIV DOU COMBO test, but I dont know where they are offered :( My question is how risky was this exposure, OBVIOUSLY i know that having herpes doubles my risk and the fact that he had cuts. and all these symptoms are just too much for me to handle. I spend literally every waking moment on the internet googling symptoms and sign and questions and forums. I am a known hypochonriac. But I don't think me stressing this much about something could create all these symptoms in my head. I'm just so scared. I literally do not now what to do. I know testing is the ONLY way to get it done, but I mean....it's pretty obvious to me that i have HIV. All the symptoms in the perfect time frame....I'm terrified.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The one thing we do know for sure is that oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. Yes it does increase with another active sexually transmitted infection, your herpes. It does sound like to me that your symptoms are your herpes and having an outbreak. The risk of transmission from him if he does in fact have HIV are very small. There has to be a large volume of blood and it has to be from recent openings or injuries.

You are on the right track with getting tested. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
is that possible to marrage nagative person?
Next
sensations!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.