Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

re: cant understand how?
Aug 21, 2012

It would be important to know how the test was confirmed. Was a Western blot test done? This is the test that would most commonly be used to confirm HIV infection. Was a viral load done? hey D.R wohl in response to your post yes a viral load was done it was undetectable below less than 20 copies. but the westernblot and elisa are fully positive. cd4 854 38% cd8 516 35%. i tested at different labs quest and labcorp. as you said none of the examples i posted were risks for contracting hiv based on the actions i took . i honestly would not be reaching out to you out here on these public forums but what is going on here does not make any sense at all. i have seen 2 different infectious docs here in newyork. they both tell me there is no way this could be a recent infection based on test numbers and that no action is needed at this time. but i did my back tracking reached out to the blood banks where i gave blood got proof i was negative before.knowing my history and being honest about my sexual activities and non drug use. something very strange is going on in my body and i need to find someone who can think outside the box with my case. maybe i have something that can help in the fight for a cure. but i am 100 percent sure of what i done and have not done. and nothing equals to getting hiv. but i am showing that i am positive when i know i should not be at all. is hiv that easy to get based on the information i described and were my only actions.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Your case does sound strange. From what you write there are two possibilities that I see. First, the antibody testing results are false positive. This happens. Some people make antibodies that react even with the more specific Western blot. This is likely what is happening here. Second possibility is that you were infected and are one of the unusual elite controllers who have undetectable viral loads all by themselves.

Again, given no risk activity, I favor the first scenario, The reason previous HIV testing was negative may be a function of less sensitive tests used then or a new condition that led you to make these false positive antibodies. You should also get testing done for rheumatological conditions like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis (tests are ANA, dsDNA, rheumatoid factor) as these can lead to a storm of antibodies that can cross react with HIV tests.

DW

Previous
Possible enounter with precum.. HIV transmittable?
Next
HIV Early Detection Test (including HIV 1 DNA PCR)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.