Straight razors at the barbershop. So worried!
Aug 21, 2012
I'm Sam and i live in a Muslim country. Last Friday i got a chin shave at a clean barbershop, the problem is, i didn't notice him "the barber" changing the razor AND sterilizing the straight razor "that holds the blade" as i was talking to my friend who was waiting for me. As far as i remember, it took quite a bit of time during the conversation with my friend, and the barber was busy, so i hope he "changed & sterilized". First of he applied shaving cream to my chin, then he started shaving. Unfortunately i got some acne pimples in my face and near my chin, he then accidently cut two of them, causing them to bleed for a short time. I got worried and said to him "please be careful". After we were done, i asked my friend: did he sterilized the straight razor? He answered yes i saw him. I again asked: did he change the razor blade? He answered: actually i didn't notice. Anyway I'm sure he did. I'm worried two things:
- If the straight razor was not properly sterilized, would it be a risk of contracting HIV? cause "maybe" it touched the bleeding pimples "not big pimples by the way". - He was unintentionally slightly touching the bleeding pimples by his fingers in order to reposition my head to the way he feels comfort for him to shave. IF his fingers had blood "probably dried blood", would this lead to infection?
And the last question, should i get tested?
Sorry if my English isn't that good, I'm still learning :) Thanks in advance.
Response from Dr. Wohl
Your English is actually quite impressive. There is no risk of HIV here. Transmission of HIV takes more than this exposure. There are other infections such as HBV, HCV and bacteria like staph that would be more likely to be spread by a reused razor but not HIV.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Burning Penis After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Chest Cold After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Vaginal Sex Without Condom What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Bacteria That Causes Hepatitis B
- How Accurate Are Std Test?
- How Does Thrush Spread To Other People?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.