The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I ask for PEP for performing oral sex when I had a canker sore and acid reflux?

Aug 19, 2012

I recently performed oral sex another man of unknown HIV status less than 12 hours ago. He ejaculated in my mouth, and I swallowed it.

I am worried because I had a canker sore at time that was almost healed. There was no pain or bleeding, and I couldn't even tell that it was there unless I moved my jaw, or touched it with my tongue.

I also had a mild case of acid reflux. I've been taking Zanctac for that, but it has recently been starting to lose effectiveness.

I also have a few extra Truvada pills from a previous course of PEP that have not yet expired. I was advised to take Truvada once a day for 28 days, and there were 32 pills in the bottle. I decided to keep them on-hand in case of another possible HIV exposure incident, since time of the essence in PEP being effective.

Does my situation warrant PEP?

I don't want to start taking the pills that I have if the doc won't prescribe a full course, since I'm sure that 4 days worth of PEP would not be effective at preventing infection if I indeed have been exposed to HIV.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I would not consider this a major exposure and would not generally offer PEP except if the patient was very anxious and eager to take the medication. This is a bit of a gray area but the risk is really low. If any risk is too high for you, PEP may be appropriate.


lesbians sex
Fingering vagina with precum

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint