spilling serum sample on my hand

Hi, I work in a lab and came across a serum sample of an hiv patient, without realising, wearing no gloves, I Accidently spilt some of the serum on my hand and nail bed...I did quickly wash my hand but I'm extremely scared as I am 6 months pregnant.can hiv enter through the skin on your nail? I don't have any wounds or cuts on my hand..

Hi For HIV transmission to occur there has to be an opening for the exchange of body fluid to happen. HIV also dies once it is outside of the body. I would talk with your supervisor or HR department as any environment like you are in must have a process for exposures not just for HIV but all occupational exposure risk.

Be well and know that you are fine from this exposure.

Shannon

Do i have hiv
New mom and breastfeeding and very scared about exposure. Please please respond!