Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from oral?
Aug 18, 2012

I gave unprotected oral sex to someone who said they did not have an STD a month ago, but you never know. I swollowed. Before the act I brushed my teeth and rinsed with mouth wash. He was a white heterosexual male, he had tattoos but they looked professional, he was 18, and circumsized. It was my first time giving oral. I have excellent mouth care although my gums might have been swollen at the time, I don't remember. Since then I started a new excercise routine and have felt sore abound my oblique/ armpit area but my other lympf nodes don't appear swollen. Also, I have lost two pounds since the occurance, but that could be contrbuted to my minor anorexia and extreme anxiety although I have been eating like I regularly do. Also, I recently got a canker sore, I don't know if that is from a possible infection or from the extreme amount of stress and anxiety. I have worked my self into a complete tizzy about this, I didn't sleep at all because of it. I am also a total hypocondriac. The man also seemed to be kind of a player but I really don't know and I don't think he took any IV drugs. I don't have any signs of a fever or rash either. I have never had a cold sore either. He was kind of rough with me though, he kind of penetrated my mouth. Before hand he also kept biting my lip, and it hurt if that has any bearing on it. I don't really know, all I know is that I'm freaking out. And a little while after, like a couple of weeks, I felt sick but only momentarily. Please help. I am also a white, 18 yo, virgin, female. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi We know that oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. From what you have described with the sexual experience and then the workout and change in diet is most likely why the weight loss and the muscle soreness. Of course the only way to truly know your status is to be tested. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
HIV
Next
plase help me it my second time post

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.