Folliculitis

Hello Dr,

Would pruritic folliculitis in the groin (clustering, approximately 20 red bumps on both inner thighs next to scrotum) 4-5 months after an exposure be in any way suggestive of HIV infection? I received two negative antibody tests at 12 and 16 weeks respectively after a potential exposure and am looking for some closure, however every symptom I get that I research online can be caused by an impaired immune system or is more common in individuals with HIV/AIDS and is driving me nuts.

You have my utmost respect,

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- While folliculitis does occur in HIV positive persons- it is a common condition that occurs in people WITHOUT HIV as well. I would be reassured based on your two negative tests at 3 and 4 months that you are indeed negative. You may need some additional treatment or care for the folliculitis if it doesn't resolve on it's on. Take care, LHW

Lancing device
HIV sores and antibiotics