Odds of having HIV

I work in a hospital and recently cut myself on a pair of bloody scissors that were used on a patient, even though the cut was not deep I still bled, straight away I made the wound bleed under a tap and then went straight to my occupational health where I have now started the course of PEP. I have to go back in 6 weeks to have my blood taken and see the outcome of if I have HIV or not. What are the odds that I have contracted the disease?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- This is a tough question to answer because it depends on many factors (was source patient infected, if so what was their viral level, etc), but according recent estimates, the risk of transmission from a Needlestick injury with no other risk factors is 0.13% (1:769). This is the closest to the type of injury you describe. You can read more at http://www.aidsmap.com/Estimated-risk-per-exposure/page/1324038/. I agree with PEP until the source patient can be tested (if possible).

Take care,

LHW

pls help me i am soo scared pls
transmission in lab