The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconversion and Life expectancy

Aug 14, 2012

Dear lisa

i am a 23 year old male i had unprotected anal sex for about 5 minutes (i was the giver) with a man i strongly suspect has HIV, we also performed oral on each other for around 45 minutes but did not ejaculate inside each other. what is my risk of HIV? i started pep after 90 hours. In the next few days to a week i had a dry cough and swollen neck glands, maybe 2cm in diameter max. i finish pep in 3 days and right now i feel fine no other seroconversion symptoms. can PEP alleviate seroconversion symptoms?

many thanks,


Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- While I can't provide you with specific numbers I would say that your risk for HIV is low (but not zero). It depends on whether the person you had sex with is or is not infected and if they are infected, if they are on any medications to lower their virus level. Certainly since you were the top it is lower than if you had been the bottom. Engaging in oral sex is a very low risk activity. Hard to know what starting PEP after the 72 hour window will do to your risk but it certainly can't hurt. It would seem to me that you are almost 4 weeks out by now so I would strongly recommend testing- if you can get an ag/ab combo test it should be very accurate at this point but a standard ab test will work as well. Hope this helps. take care, LHW

Unprotected oral sex when should I get tested/should I?
pls help me i am soo scared pls

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint