|Dr Wohl, is Abbott Architect(hiv1,2,p24) test 100% conclusive at 3 months?
Aug 13, 2012
Hi, good doctor! I'm asking you because you have experience and education in this area. Also, you've been a consultant in Abbott(as I see in your profile) And I can trust my life to you. I'm 27 yrs old guy.
if I would test with Abbott Atchitect HIV1,2, p24 test(made on i2000), which detects HIV1 groups M,O, and according to abbott tests group N as well, detects HIV2, detects HIV1 p24 antigen.(as they say in my clinic)
My questions are: 1. How many types of Abbott Architect tests available - is it single in nature? I mean, if my clinic says, that they use "Abbott Atchitect HIV1,2, p24 test", can I be 100% sure, that there are no another abbott tests, which may be differ from that?
2. Does this test detect IgM(early antibodies)? 3. Does this test detect HIV1-IgM AND HIV2-IgM? 4. Can I have immune disorders, if I was sick very rare(1-2 times per year got cold or flu for last 10 years) which may require 6 month testing? 5. Is this test 100% conclusive(regardless of risk type- this is important) at 3 months for me if I had no PEP therapy, I had no acute hepatitis C, and if I had no (if answer to question 4 - no)immune disorders and if it detects IgM to both HIV1 and HIV2? (if it's 99.99% conclusive - 0.01% is acceptable deviation)
I stated "regardless of risk type" because it's ugly - "if you have a low risk, then 3 months enough, if you have a big risk, then 6 months, 12 months... whole life". I mean, if test works and if 3 months enough to it, it doesn't matter how risky the situation is. Right?
I hope, your answer will help not only to me, but to many many worried people as well.
Many, many thanks in advance, have a really nice day!
| Response from Dr. Wohl
The test you mention is excellent and detects antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2 plus p24 antigen. The antibodies detected are IgG. The test is excellent and if negative at 3 months is conclusive that you are not HIV+ regardless of your risk or other conditions.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- After Five Months Is An HIV Test Conclusive
- Is A 3 Month HIV Test Conclusive?
- Is A 3 Month Hiv Test Conclusive After 3 Months?
- Can I Have Unprotected Sex With Someone Who Is Hiv Positive And Not Get Infected?
- Can You Get Hiv From A Bj?
- Are Throat Infection And Ear Infection Signs Of Hiv?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.