The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still very very worried after more than a year

Aug 12, 2012

Hi, I got nobody to turn to except this honourable site. God bless you. In March 2011 i had an exposure, supposedly protected sex with an escort. After almost 5 months i started to experience some symptoms such as oral thrush and esoecially an enlarged thyroid. At the 5 months mark i decided to get tested for HIV with an antibody Elisa which came back negative. Being paranoid about the symptoms since i was diagnosed with a strep decided to test again with the same type of test at the 6 and a half months mark and also came back negative. Since that test i started to feel all the symptoms (on & off): night sweats, lymph nodes painful everywhere, mild headaches, joints pain, muscle twitching, and especially the thyroid did not change ( did a biopsy and did not show any cancer with normal and close to low tsh). I am super scared to get another test since i have an internal feeling that tells me i am positive. I would like to hear about your experiences how do you link the symptoms with the rsults and the timing. An answer is very very much appreciated.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

Protected sex is not a high-risk exposure. I would not even suggest testing for an incident of protected sex. Any testing done outside of the three month window is considered conclusive.

Bottom line: You are HIV negative from this incident.

In health,


What is my testing window?
please help me!!!!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint