Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected Sex
Aug 12, 2012

Hello, I am a gay male. I have been in a relationship with a guy for about one year. We have always had protected sex but in December the condom broke and I got tested. It came back negative. However, foolishly we had unprotected sex in April. About 5 days later on a Sunday I developed a mild to high fever that was under 100 F. Just slightly above normal body temperature. However on Saturday, the day before I ate at a public gathering (public food prepared by other people).That Saturday night when the fever started I drank about 2 litres of orange and grape juice. The next morning I had watery diarrhea. This lasted pretty much the whole day but on Monday it went away. The Fever went after a few days but during this time my temperature flucuated from mild to medium fever.

Since I have had those symptoms a few months ago I have noticed that I have been having intermitten diarrhea (more specifically not watery mostly solid but just my bowels goin g alot). I have also been having a lot of gas and burping and passing wind. Sometimes My stomach growls really loudly.

Me and my partner do practice oral/anal rimming etc. So I dont know if this is some intestinal problem or related to a possible HIV exposure?

I went for a check up today and will get my results in one week. My partner has never had unprotected sex and he told me his last check up was negative.

I am still anxious and worried for my results. What are your thoughts on my predicament?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

Based on the information you have provided, it would seem that even though you did have unprotected sex, it is likely that your partner is negative so there would be no risk.

It is possible to come into contact with parasites from rimming. These parasites can cause gastrointestinal distress. If the diarrhea continues I would suggest a trip to the doctor to discuss possible causes.

Bottom line: It does not sound like you were at risk for an HIV infection. If you like, you could test for HIV, three months from the incident in April.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Testing window
Next
Frottage and Licked wet finger

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.