The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Testing window

Aug 11, 2012

Hello Doctor, I had flu like symptoms after vaginal sex with female who tested negative one month after exposure. I did an antibody test at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, NAAT at 7 weeks, AB at 12 weeks, 20 Weeks and clearview at 25 weeks post exposure, all negative. Nurse at Planned Parenthood told me to test again at 12 months, wondering why? Is it my symptoms? I told her I had night sweats, heavy depression and anxiety, dry mouth, muscle spasm, weakening in one arm, wrist pain, muscle aches and nausea. My GI did a immune panel test and said I was normal, 4 months after exposure, which also included a Bio Rad test for HIV, negative. Is it possible that I could be a rare exception and need testing at 12 months? Last year I was treated for H Pylori, only serious medical condition I had.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again. Testing guidelines have changed as the test have become more sensitive, she may not have been aware of these changes.

I would say after the number of times you have been tested and if there have been no other exposures during that time than you are HIV free.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Anxiety * 100
Unprotected oral sex - escort has multiple partners

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint