HIV transmission in hospital

I'm a dental student and one day I was assisting the doctor.. after the procedure while washing my hands i realized that I had a small cut on my finger.. it was not bleeding but slightly red and burning.. what is the risk of HIV transmission?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It doesn't sound like your skin was open (you'd generally bleed in a situation like that). For HIV to transmit there needs to be HIV+ body fluid leaving someone's body and going directly into another person's body. That would only happen if there was actually a way for blood to get into your body. Doesn't sound like there was a way in.

Aside from this, there are universal precautions that must be practiced in all medical situations. Also, there are procedures that must be observed when a medical professional even suspects they were at risk. Please please please check with your supervisor so that you're up to date on these procedures!

Hope this helps!

Erik

HIV from blood on hand?
Fingering & Kissing