Testing for HIV

I received unprotected oral sex late march. I had an HIV test 11 and a half weeks post "exposure." is this sufficient time, since I didn't wait until 12 weeks? What worries me is that I started acyclovir about 1 week after my "exposure" because I did contract herpes. Would the acyclovir cause a false negative reading from the HIV test? I'm really scared because today I started having diarrhea, body ache, and I feel warm, not sure if it's a fever or not. Plus, I am currently having a herpes outbreak right now and I am on acyclovir. Not sure what to think. The counselor where I get my HIV tests told me that I'm fine and have nothing to worry about, but I'm still worried. Please help me. Thank you!

Hi Oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. Your test showing negative is obviously a good sign. I would agree with your counselor that you don't have to be worried about HIV but I do believe your herpes outbreak is what is causing you to feel bad. Keep on your medications for the herpes and get that under control before you have another sexual experience. You don't want to infect someone with Herpes nor put yourself at risk of other types of sexually transmitted infections.

I am HIV positive and my husband is not,
which way to turn