hiv

dear doctor I am a male 32years. how many years does HIV symptoms or signs appear when you have unprotected sex with HIV person?

i had unprotected sex in 1996 and i didnt know her status can i live upto this time without any sign? (no serious illness or taking any medication) this thing has been troubling me on my mind please kindly help. thank you in advance. kaumba

Hi You can live with HIV for a long time before it compromises your immune system to the point of starting to have illnesses. The only way to truly know is to get HIV testing done. Because if you are HIV positive you want to be on meds and taking care of yourself because we know that once someone knows their status being on meds increases the positive outcomes and extending life! Which is want we want!

Be well and get tested! Shannon

HIV exposure from vaginal secretions
I am HIV positive and my husband is not,