The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV exposure from vaginal secretions

Aug 5, 2012

I'm HIV positive and was recently having intercourse with my negative partner using a condom. Things got hot wild and messy and some of my vaginal secretions dripped/splashed onto his anus at the opening. Is there anything to worry about? Do you have tips on safer sex?

Response from Ms. Southall


Nothing to worry about! He would have to have an open cut or sore on his anus that just occurred while you were having sex. The risk is so very small for HIV transmission to occur this way.

Tips: Make sure you are on HIV medication and that you are adherent to them and have an undetectable viral load. With this the likelihood of transmission decreases by up to 96%.

Ensuring that you are using condoms both male and female are always good options. Making sure as well that neither of you have any active other sexually transmitted virus which can increase the chances of transmission. It's very difficult for women to transmit the virus though possible. One thing you may want to talk with your healthcare provider about is using pre exposure prophylaxis, Truvada was just approved for this and post exposure. Having a plan in place if a high risk exposure happens is important as well.

My husband who is negative and myself, I'm positive, have talked a lot about the what if's and we have plans in place.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Please help me

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint