The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

very worry about my hiv test.

Aug 5, 2012

my partner just had an hiv test and his cd4 count wss 220 and we beaning together for 8 years,we have 3 kids waiting i have not sleep with anyone apart from him and he knows that,with his cd4 count of 220 do i have hiv.ples help me out this do my kids have hiv too.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi I'm assuming his HIV test came back positive and you are not just looking at his cd4 count. Because everyone has a cd4 count. If his test is HIV positive then yes you need to get tested! Depending on your test results will determine whether or not if your kids need to be tested. If he does have HIV than getting on medications and being adherent to them is extremely important not just for his health but for yours as well. If his viral load is undetectable than the risk of HIV transmission to you is less than 4%. So you stay safe as well. You need to continue getting yourself educated as well but this does not mean that your life with him needs to change. There are many sero different couples, or what my husband and I call ourselves, magnetic that are healthy and happy and living life. You just need to get yourself tested to be sure that you are taking care of yourself as well. Please continue to write and ask questions.

Be well stay safe, Shannon

Worried for getting massage from sex worker
HIV transmission Household setting

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint