Question concerning occupational exposures and blood splatter....

Hello Dr. Wohl,

I'm curious about this. I've read the archives and a lot of source material and one thing everyone seems to agree on is that outside of the body hiv is essentially dead. When it comes to occupational exposures, especially concerning blood splatter, the blood essentially has to spray directly from the source and onto you for transmission to be possible. Is that correct?

Hypothetically speaking if hiv infected blood were to land on the floor would it still be considered infectious before it dried? I've read in the archives that every moment it spends outside of the body and in an open environment the virus weakens. Does that mean that every minute in the air the virus would be less likely to transmit itself?

The virus evolved to live in warm, dark cells. Not on linoleum. So, yes, as the temperature drops and the blood dries the number of viable viruses declines. I think it is safe to say that 99.99% of the people with HIV on this planet got infected directly from another person with not out-of-body experience involved.

unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex with possible HIV+ CSW
Swallowing Blood