The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Aug 1, 2012

I experienced a high risk exposure by sharing a needle with a friend of unknown HIV status. I tested for HIV and HEP at 19 weeks exactly post-exposure and my results were negative. However, around late week 17/week 18 of exposure, I developed soreness in my right arm that lasted about a week or so followed by soreness in my armpits that lasted a few days. I am wondering if that could possibly have been me seroconverting after that amount of time, and how likely that would be. I am a very young, and (as I know) healthy individual but this is really stressing me out. I will be testing in another 3 weeks (at 24 weeks post-exposure) but I do not know how to calm myself until then.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Sounds to me that you're HIV negative! A test at 19 weeks is more than sufficient to tell if you have HIV from this situation. It's also important in a situation like this to be tested for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.

Please please please in the future try to practice techniques that will reduce your risk.. these include (only) using the needle first, bring your own needles, etc. (there's more in the archives of this site).

If you're having trouble coming to terms with your negative status and accepting this.. it's probably time to talk with a trusted person who can help you manage your worry (like a counselor).

Hope this helps!


Please help me
Risk of Infection from Scratch Immediately After He Used Restroom

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint