Can I get HIV or STDs with a condom?

Hi last night I had a few drinks and met a escort at a bar. We went back to my room and had sex with a condom. Is there a chance I can contract HIV or another std?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

In terms of HIV, no, you cannot get it if you use a condom. Provided that you use it correctly and it doesn't break (I'm not encouraging you to throw the breakage under suspicion, if you didn't notice a break it most probably didn't).

In terms of STD, for those transmitted by fluid you didn't have risk. There are some STDs, however, that are transmitted through intense skin-to-skin contact (like the kind that happens during sex). Your penis was covered so there's no risk there.. but the area around your penis could be at risk for things like Syphilis, HPV, or Herpes.

This is why we recommend that all sexually active people get tested on a regular basis for all major STDs.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Nose Piercing Scare
Sir, do you think I've placed myself on significant risk?