Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nose Piercing Scare
Jul 30, 2012

I recently got my nose pierced and am a little concerned. The piercing room appeared clean. He began gathering all the instruments bare handed, since I did not see him wash his hands I asked if he cleaned his hands and assured me that he used antibacterial soap. So we continued on. He grabbed the vaseline bare fingers and placed on the table, which he later put the needle in. He then put on gloves, took the needle out of its new packaging (or at least appeared that way), grabbed tongs (did not know if those were sterilized) and pierced my nose. A week went by my nose did not look like it was fully healing. It didnt look infected but just red discoloring, so I contacted the shop for advice and came to find out that the piercer was an apprentice (they did not disclose at time of piercing) and had only been working for a few weeks. Is there any possibilty of me contracting hepatitius C or HIV from this procedure? Just been worrying a lot.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From everything you described, it doesn't sound like you were at risk for Hepatitis C or HIV. The person who pierced your nose followed appropriate procedures by opening a new needle package.

I'm unclear what's making you question your risk in this case.. It may be less about what happened and more about something triggering your feelings about it (nervousness/anxiety). Many times risk is pretty clear cut, this is one of those cases.

All that being said, if your nose is feeling irritated in ways that are making you uncomfortable, by all means, talk to someone else (a professional) to get down to the bottom of that.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Bloody Band Aid
Next
Can I get HIV or STDs with a condom?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.