Nose Piercing Scare

I recently got my nose pierced and am a little concerned. The piercing room appeared clean. He began gathering all the instruments bare handed, since I did not see him wash his hands I asked if he cleaned his hands and assured me that he used antibacterial soap. So we continued on. He grabbed the vaseline bare fingers and placed on the table, which he later put the needle in. He then put on gloves, took the needle out of its new packaging (or at least appeared that way), grabbed tongs (did not know if those were sterilized) and pierced my nose. A week went by my nose did not look like it was fully healing. It didnt look infected but just red discoloring, so I contacted the shop for advice and came to find out that the piercer was an apprentice (they did not disclose at time of piercing) and had only been working for a few weeks. Is there any possibilty of me contracting hepatitius C or HIV from this procedure? Just been worrying a lot.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From everything you described, it doesn't sound like you were at risk for Hepatitis C or HIV. The person who pierced your nose followed appropriate procedures by opening a new needle package.

I'm unclear what's making you question your risk in this case.. It may be less about what happened and more about something triggering your feelings about it (nervousness/anxiety). Many times risk is pretty clear cut, this is one of those cases.

All that being said, if your nose is feeling irritated in ways that are making you uncomfortable, by all means, talk to someone else (a professional) to get down to the bottom of that.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Bloody Band Aid
Can I get HIV or STDs with a condom?