Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What are the chances that I have HIV?
Jul 30, 2012

Dear Rick, I am a 31 yr old man. Recently I had protected sex with a prostitute during a vacation. As far as I am concerned there was brief moment before the intercourse where she gave me a fellatio unprotected. Before sex we both took shower and she checked me thoroughly. 2 days after the event, I started feeling little sick. Symptoms were mild temperature (on and off), body ache (2 days only), sore throat (2 days), dry cough (2 days)and fatigue. No swollen lymph nodes, no night sweat and no rashes in my case yet. Upon returning from vacation I called the prostitute and she confirmed me that she doesn't carry any HIV. She said she is clean and mentioned we had safe sex. 6 days after the event I had loose motions (4-5 times that day). I was constipating for more than 2 days before that during vacation. After that loose motions period I have constipation again. On 7th day I noticed a small ulcer on the ceiling of my mouth just behing the upper middle teeth. From day 4 to day 8 (i.e,today) occasionally I feel bad taste in my mouth. Doesn't feel like eating then. Most of the time I am eating normal. I lost little bit of appetite too. I have been feeling fatigue post 48 hrs of exposure and continue to be like that till now. Vacation was hectic too with lack of sleep time and traveling. Other symptoms I had were runny nose for a day. When I cough now I get mucus at times. Its not dry any more. Genital area looks normal with no visible changes. Now I am worried and cannot concentrate much on daily chores. I need your advice. I am getting married in Oct/Nov time frame. The trip was bachelor party.Do you think I have symptoms of getting contracted to HIV? If yes how soon I can get the testing done? I am ready to get the test done as soon as possible so that I am clear what's going on with me and make decision whether to go ahead with the wedding or not. This whole mystery is killing me. At times I feel I don't have HIV and at the same time it scares the hell out of me. I know I need to get tested to know the truth but need your advice where to start. I will promise I will never do these kind of stupid act ever.

Vicky

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

Using a condom for penetrative sex (anal or vaginal) is the best way to protect yourself against HIV. I do not think this incident was high-risk at all.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you are probably feeling bad because you stepped outside of your primary relationship. Doing that can cause all sorts of anxiety. Anxiety can produce physical symptoms too.

Bottom line: I do not think you were at risk for HIV. If you are concerned then you could certainly go for an HIV test at the three month mark.

In health,

Richard

Previous
3rd time asking,please please answer me.
Next
Have taken my wives medicine by mistake !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.