Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS symptoms or not, TOTALLY ANXIOUS
Jul 29, 2012

Hello, I have had 2 events that have worried me, basically because of symptpoms appearing 3 weeks after each event.

In the first event, I had sex with a girl who got her period in the middle of our encounter, I was wearing a condom, removed it carefully and as far as I know i did not get any blood on my penis. Exactly 3 weeks after the event, I developed a sore thorat lasting 3 days, then had runny nose and cough.

In teh second event, I had unprotected vaginal sex for like 2 minutes, later put on a condom. Again, exactly 3 weeks after the event, I developed a sore burning throat, it began a saturday while I was smoking in a hotel room with the A/C on, it gave me a burning feeling inthroat and a bit of a cough, did not pay any attention to it. Later that night went to a wedding, had some drinks and cigarrettes, sore tharoat came back, no coguh. On sunday, I had a mild cough only. But, on monday had a mild sore throat again, brunign feeling in the back, it lasted until tuesday night, that night I had some beers and cigarrettes again, began on tuesday with a mild dry cough. Wednesday, sore throat was gone and only left with the dry cough, this cough lasted until sunday, after taking one day a cough syrup and an advil.

Since these symptoms happened exactly 3 weeks after each encounter, it worries me a lot, really anxious.

Could this be ARS? please answer me, I am a nervous wreck and have been experiencing serious anxiety issues, that is all I can think about. Do not remember having fever or rash.

i would appreciate if you could answer these symptoms reesemble ARS, not only tell me I need to get tested, I know I must, but at least I would like to be prepared for the results.

Thank you in advance

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi From your first experience with the partner who started her period you wore protection and so the chance of HIV transmission is minuscule. The second time even though briefly you had unprotected sex. Not only putting yourself at risk for HIV but for all of the other sexually transmitted infections. The symptoms you are experiencing can be from many things and I would encourage you to receive testing not just for HIV but for all of the STI's you put yourself at risk for to ensure it is not this and to see if it could be something else going on.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
Convincing someone you care about to get tested
Next
HIV most common and assured symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.