Convincing someone you care about to get tested

Living in Las Vegas, HIV seems to be everywhere and the numbers are growing. The gay community here is small, and everyone seems to know everyone. A guy I used to talk to told me he saw my roommate bottom for a guy who is HIV+ and did not use protection. As someone who is an aspiring M.D., I felt responsible to get him tested and get him help. He agreed he needed a test, but now has procrastinated for over 8 weeks, and still seeks out sexual partners. What can I do to convince him he must get tested now, and must discontinue seeking out sexual partners until he is tested to prevent further spread?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

I admire your desire to want the best for your roommate (and the general public). If your roommate is engaging in unsafe behaviors, he probably already realizes that he is at risk. It's possible that he doesn't want to know his status.

What if you went with him to get tested and got tested too? Perhaps that might make it a little bit easier. Another option would be to purchase a home testing kit. Then there would be no excuse.

Bottom line: Keep on him about that test. Hopefully sooner rather than later he will get tested. Just remember, he is probably scared to get the results of that test. Start working on your bedside manner and treat him with as much empathy, compassion, and respect as possible. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

hiv test
ARS symptoms or not, TOTALLY ANXIOUS