The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Convincing someone you care about to get tested

Jul 29, 2012

Living in Las Vegas, HIV seems to be everywhere and the numbers are growing. The gay community here is small, and everyone seems to know everyone. A guy I used to talk to told me he saw my roommate bottom for a guy who is HIV+ and did not use protection. As someone who is an aspiring M.D., I felt responsible to get him tested and get him help. He agreed he needed a test, but now has procrastinated for over 8 weeks, and still seeks out sexual partners. What can I do to convince him he must get tested now, and must discontinue seeking out sexual partners until he is tested to prevent further spread?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

I admire your desire to want the best for your roommate (and the general public). If your roommate is engaging in unsafe behaviors, he probably already realizes that he is at risk. It's possible that he doesn't want to know his status.

What if you went with him to get tested and got tested too? Perhaps that might make it a little bit easier. Another option would be to purchase a home testing kit. Then there would be no excuse.

Bottom line: Keep on him about that test. Hopefully sooner rather than later he will get tested. Just remember, he is probably scared to get the results of that test. Start working on your bedside manner and treat him with as much empathy, compassion, and respect as possible. Good luck.

In health,


hiv test
ARS symptoms or not, TOTALLY ANXIOUS

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint