Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broken Condom / Debilitating fatigue
Jul 29, 2012

Dear doc,

Before asking this question I have been thoroughly scouting the website, so I wouldn't wind up asking the same question over and over. :-) I've had an (intermediate) risk encounter now 7 weeks ago. I had protected sex with a (Belgian) prostitute. Suddenly I felt the condom tearing apart while I was inside. It literally was a ONE SECOND contact as I pulled back immediately. After this encounter, she finished me of orally and I went washing off/urinating immediately after. When I left her room, I started realising this could have been a near-death encounter. (Slightly exagerated, I know ;-)) The reason I stressed out is because this lady had a very weird kind of rash on her buttocks. I contacted her several times after the incident. She claims to have been tested negative only two weeks ago now (five weeks post exposure), as she also was a little scared because of her rash. She does sound sincere and she also claims to always have protected sex with her customers. Her doc told her the rash could be a hormonal reaction, as her std test came back all negative. Now, as for me, I wouldn't be panicking this much, if it were not for my own symptoms. I will sum it up. What I've been experiencing eversince the incident. A drop in body weight of 4kg (96kg => 92kg), mostly muscle mass. This happened during the first two - three weeks already, which scared me enormously. My weight got stabilised now at 92kg. Now, this could also have been caused due to less appetite (stress, anxiety). 3 to 4 weeks after I've had painful aches in my groin lymph nodes. The lymph nodes themselves are not very swollen, maybe a very very little, but this might be default size. I've had only one night fever (third week, slight fever), which cleared up the morning after. The worst symptom, and the only one I am currently still experiencing, is an overwhelming fatigue. This fatigue is consuming me, as I cannot work, can hardly function normally, sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day. This fatigue goes with a slight tinnitus (ringing ears). Now, to conclude, I have been tested for all STD's at 10 days and at 39 days (5,5 weeks) post exposure. All tests came back negative. Hiv test used was combo AG+AB fast test, Belgian government issued, claiming 95% accuracy at 6 weeks. I am still very freightened due to this extreme fatigue that I am now linking it to slow ARS, possibly delaying seroconversion and hereby delaying production of antibodies. Passed winter (before the incident) I've been suffering from Pfeiffer disease and I've been experiencing many colds and weaknesses after this infection, could this mean I am somehow immunocompromised? I've had general bloodwork, my leuko- and lymphocytes show up normal (7000 leukocytes, 30% lymphocytes) there are no infection indicators whatsoever (CRP, sedimentation, ...). My thyreoid (FT4) and iron, ferritin levels are the only ones slightly elevated. But still the fact remains that I continue to deal with this consuming fatigue that I really cannot stand much longer. I have an appointment with the internist/endocrinologist but I have to wait 7 (!) more weeks due to holidays and 5 weeks to reach the 3 month's mark. This is why I come to you to hear about your opinion concerning this fatigue. Do you think anxiety/stress can be causing this? I have had no other symptoms since, no fevers, no rash, no candida, no headaches, nothing! I will be very greatful for your reply.

Thanks, Kris

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

From the situation you are describing, the risk of HIV transmission is extremely low. I would not be concerned. Hopefully doctors can help diagnose the cause(s) of your symptoms. It is likely not HIV. I would still suggest that final test at three months, just to be certain.

In health,

Richard

Previous
First sex with transsexual without condoms
Next
Oral sex without ejaculation and spraying 70% isopropyl alcohol in mouth afterwards

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.