Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV RISK Question DUO TEST 4 and 6 weeks
Jul 29, 2012

Hi

I had sex with a sex worker in Thailand and the condom totally broke and my skin was irritated (It wasnt a STD) on my penis and my groin.

I asked her if she had HIV/AIDS and she said no and she also told me she was afraid of getting pregnant, which made me think that she normally doesnt have sex without a condom, but who knows... I went to the hospital with her for a test for which she tested negative. It probably wasnt a HIV DUO test. So based on that result I decided not to take PEP.

2 or 3 weeks past and I didnt have any symptoms.

Than I received oral sex from a girl working in a hotel. She seemed normal and she only liked white people and she was around 25 years old (I am 23) so it made me think you doesnt have sex with older men. Anyways the oral sex was unprotected and I discovered an abrasion like spot on my penis. it didnt bleed.

I also had protect vaginal sex with her during which I was terrified of the condom breaking. She insured me that the condom wont break and that she hasnt experience a condom failure, but who knows. Ive no idea why I accepted the unprotected oral sex.

3 weeks after that I experienced symptoms, such as fever feeling (didnt have fever), sore throat, thought I had some rash, swollen lympfnodes groin and one in the neck, and a bunch of other small symptoms such as fatigue, light headed etc. I was super depressed during that time because of my anxiety and I had a bunch of OCD things. I only drank water and bread and sometimes dinner. I just layed on my bed a ll day long.

Than I had to overcome my fear and went to the family dokter (3,8 weeks after last incident and like 6,5 weeks after incident before). I did a general bloodtest and a bunch of STDs. All came back totally normal.

Two days after that I did a HIV DUO test which came back negative. Than 1 week later I did another HIV DUO test and it also came back negative.

So HIV DUO test 4 and 6 weeks after incidents came back negative. HIV DUO test 6 weeks and 8,5 weeks after incidents came back negative.

Im still pretty afraid and I feel terrible sometimes what I have done. And because of people like me this disease wont stop. I want to apologize for my behavior as well.

Do you think I dont have HIV based on my story? I know 3 months is conclusive. But I think I need some encouraging words to help me function normally again.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

From the situations you are describing, it's unlikely that transmission occurred. Your eight week test is fairly reliable. With a negative result at eight weeks, I would feel very confident in a negative result at the 12 week mark as well.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Scared of HIV after potential exposure
Next
Brief Unprotected Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.