Rimming and Cold Sore

I have a cold sore healing right now and I rimmed a guy. I'm wondering with the risk of HIV transmission is for that situation since there's an STD present. However, it was rimming. How risky is that?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

If you had an active cold sore (Herpes) while you were rimming someone, the risk for HIV is practically nonexistent. Why? Because while the sore is an opening into your body, when you rim there isn't HIV+ body fluid coming out of the butt. When a penis is deep inside the butt it can come in contact with blood inside the butt. But your tongue on the outside (or a little on the inside) isn't going to come in contact with all that.

That being said, if you had an active cold sore it's the person your rimming who's at risk. They're at risk for getting the Herpes on your mouth transmitted to their butt!

In the future, if you're going to use your mouth during sex you must be mindful of the risk of transmitting Herpes. Check out our articles on the subject to help you keep you and your partners safe going forward.

Hope this helps!

Erik

No risk, high anxiety for HIV **please answer regarding concern for my infant**
Did this compromise safe sex