Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No risk, high anxiety for HIV **please answer regarding concern for my infant**
Jul 27, 2012

Hello~ I have asked this question a few times and would greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide, as I have been very scared for my child.

We were playing at a friends house, and my friends husband picked up my baby to hand her to me. He had a cut on the top of his hand that was 1 to 2 days old from getting scratched by a tree branch when cutting down a tree. My baby's hand touched right over his wound when he picked her up, and then she put her fingers in her mouth. What scares me is that his wound was still pretty fresh, only being 1-2 days old, and it could have still been leaking a little blood or fluid, especially because we were playing with a slip n' slide, and the water can make a scab moist, and rub off easier. Also, my baby has been teething terrible, and her gums have been bleeding and swollen, and then she chewed on her fingers.

I have just been so scared for her and the chance of HIV, Hep C or Hep B. She has had her Hep B vaccine, but she had just received her last shot a few days before this happened.

I just want to know if there is any risk from this, as even the smallest risk concerns me. My child's doctor said testing would not be needed from something like this, but if there is even a small risk, I am concerned I should get her tested. Please help!!! Thank you!

Response from Mr. Glenn

It sounds like you're have difficulty trusting the experts around you that are saying there's no risk here. I could repeat over and over that there's no risk, but I wonder if that's going to help you find relief? We want you to feel better for the long term.. not just for a little while after you get an answer.

You can continue to ask the same questions over and over, but the answers will always be the same..

The alternative is to find a trusted person you can talk to (preferably a mental health professional) who can help you learn how to manage your anxiety and worry. If you have insurance you can check your network, if not there may be resources in the community.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Is it possible? HIV from swimming at the beach?
Next
Rimming and Cold Sore

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.