Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV risk from smoothie?
Jul 24, 2012

I recently went to the mall and was given a free sample of a smoothie from a man working at a small snack kiosk. The man gave me a strange feeling, kept smiling at me and waiting for my reaction, and asked, "Did you like it?" after I had finished. I immediately feared that he was HIV positive, had ejaculated into the smoothie, and handed it to me. The main reason I fear that I contracted HIV this way is because I was getting sick at that time and had a very sore throat (possible sores/cuts in mouth, etc.) and I constantly bite my cheeks - I know that it is unlikely, but possible, that HIV can be transmitted when bodily fluids enter the mouth when there are sores/open wounds. Can you please let me know if contracting HIV this way would be a possibility? While I, and every friend/family member I've spoken to, know it's unlikely that this man actually ejaculated into my drink and gave it to me, let's say for the sake of argument that this actually did happen - is there a high risk for contracting HIV in this way, taking into consideration small cuts in the mouth/throat? I have been absolutely panicking for the last three weeks and need a professional opinion.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question..

There is absolutely no risk from the situation you're describing. NONE! Even if he ejaculated in your smoothie, the HIV would have died way before you started drinking your smoothie. No question about that.

Additionally, I'm a little confused what inspired you to think that this guy could've ejaculated in your smoothie.. There's absolutely no evidence that he did that. If we think that's possible then we might as well start considering all sorts of other strange "unlikely" situations. I use quotation marks because unlikely in this context really seems to mean imaginative..

Hope this helps..

Erik

Previous
HIV infected this way ??
Next
hiv testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.