Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I just found out my boyfriend is HIV postive
Jul 22, 2012

I've been with my boyfriend over a year now. We been having unprotected sex. I was tested negative. He told me that I won't get it as long as he taking his med. is that true? Can we still have a normal sex life? I don't like using protection.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

You can absolutely still have a normal sex life. However, it is going to involve lots of communication on both your parts. In this case, knowledge is power. It is going to be important for the two of you to discuss the risks and to decide what level of risk the two of your feel comfortable with.

From your question, I am not sure if your boyfriend just found out he is positive, or if he has been positive the entire time, and you just found out. If it is the latter, then I would suggest you ask yourself if this is the right person for you. If you have been having unprotected sex for the past year and he has been positive the entire time, then I would seriously question how much respect he has for you and your well-being. In addition to that, he has opened himself up to criminal charges by not disclosing his status to you prior to engaging in sexual intercourse.

Even when an HIV postive person is on HAART - it is still possible to transmit the virus, although the risk is significantly lowered. The receptive partner is also more at risk because receptive penetrative sex carries a higher risk of infection.

I can understand that you do not want to use condoms. However, using a condom for each and every act of penetrative sex is one of the best ways to protect yourself against HIV and many STD's.

If he is newly positive, I would suggest he check out our Newly Diagnosed section. Our section on Mixed-status Couples will be able to shed some light on any questions the two of you may be having.

Bottom line: If he was just diagnosed, then the two of you have some talking and reading to do. The more you know, the better equiped you will be to make sound choices regarding your health.

If he is just now disclosing his status after a year of being together AND having unprotected sex with you, then you need to ask yourself - "is he the one for me".

I would suggest testing every three months without fail.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Desperately trying to find some answeres but nobody answers
Next
Totally freaking OUT!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.