The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help!!!! I don't know what to do.

Jul 14, 2012

My girlfriend came over to visit me yesterday and that day we had unprotected sex like always. But after she told me when me and her broke up like around June 15 for about 2 weeks she had sex with 2 different men. One she's already had sex with and he has had no other partners after her and one who is engaged but sleeps around. She said there was no oral and they wore condoms. I'm asking that how long does the person need to be infected for me to be infected? She could've only gotten it from the time of June 15th to July 4th. Is that enough time for her to develop it and give it to me? Please answer please.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Once someone becomes infected they are able to transmit the virus. In fact the time that someone is newly infected is one of the most dangerous times of transmission. Knowing that she wore condoms does give her protection against HIV. But the best way to know for both of you is for the two of you to receive testing to ensure your both know your health status and that you can continue moving forward with your relationship. This is something that everyone should do. Having unprotected sex at any time puts you at risk of HIV as well as all the other sexually transmitted infections. It is important to know.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Going crazy with worry
I had protected sex wit prostitute but i'm still afraid

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint