Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AM I NEGATIVE? SHOULD I TEST AGAIN NOW?

Jul 8, 2012

I HAD PROTECTED VAGINAL SEX AND UNPROTECTED LONG TIME ORAL SEX WITH A WOMAN THAT IS POSITIVE TO HIV. SHE TOLD ME AFTER. I GOT TESTED TWICE.

I AM CONFUSED ABOUT THE EXACT DATE OF THE CONTACT. I KNOW FOR SURE THAT IT HAPPENED NOT EARLIER THAN "3 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS" BEFORE MY FIRST TESTING. I REMEMBER THAT IT HAPPENED "5 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS" BEFORE BUT I AM NOT SURE, SO I DO MY CALCULATIONS WITH THE WORST SCENARIO(3 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS).

SO...

1ST TESTING AFTER 3 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS - NEGATIVE (ELISA value:0.05). ALSO NEGATIVE FOR ALL STD'S

~ 10 DAYS AFTER... I GOT ILL, LOSS OF WEIGHT, SORE THROAT ~ 5 DAYS AFTER... MY HEALTH IS FINE

2ND TESTING 3 WEEKS AFTER THE FIRST TEST - NEGATIVE (ELISA value:0.05). (6 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS TOTALLY)

SO I HAVE TWO NEGATIVE TESTS (IN 3 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS AND IN 6 WEEKS AND 3 DAYS) BOTH WITH SAME LOW NEGATIVE VALUE

MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO FORGET ABOUT IT AND FIND A GIRLFRIEND ALWAYS USING CONDOM. THE DOCTOR TOLD ME TO TEST IN NOVEMBER IN ORDER TO CLOSE THIS CHAPTER FINALLY. IT HAS BEEN OVER 40 DAYS SINCE MY LAST CHECK AND I STILL CAN'T SLEEP EASILY. I AM THINKING OF ANOTHER TEST NOW.

PLEASE TELL ME SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL NOVEMBER OR SHOULD I TEST NOW? HOW POSSIBLE IS IT TO BE POSITIVE AFTER EVERYTHING THAT I DESCRIBED YOU. PLEASE ANSWER TO MY QUESTIONS I WILL BE GRATEFULL

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi First oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. The second is testing. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you. If at the 3 month mark from the time of exposure you test come back HIV negative then so are you.

I hope this helps, be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
6th Time asking and No Answer Please Help
Next
please help!!!! hiv worried and window period

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.