Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

HIV, student really scored of transmission.

Hello, As I was observing, one of my pupils was working in a centre, where HIV kids were taken care of. My student was very worried as he was playing with the kids in the swimming pool (self-made, without chemicals such as chlorine or anything) and he was working with them to increase awareness and reduce the stigma upon society. He is currently is very scared that he contracted HIV while holding the kids up in the pool in various areas and as he had to hold them, he might has had contact with a wound or two. He is really worried as he had a small shaving cut approximately 3-4 hours (is it considered healed by then) and also a scab on his ear, and various small skin tears or scratches beside his finger nails which could have maybe a point of entry as he entered the water and usually scabs get wet and start to bleed. Is he at any risk, and I have seen that small nicks and cuts do not allow HIV to be transmitted but why do various other forums and websites say so, also what would happen if these cuts were slightly bleeding still, but were still very very small and the bleeding had basically decreased to nothing. Thanks, A concerned teacher.

Hi Good for you student for playing with the kids and no this is not a way for HIV transmission to occur. There has to be a direct exchange of body fluid for transmission to occur. You cannot get it from casual contact, you cannot get it by touching a wound or opening, and being in the pool even without chlorine etc causes the dilution of any body fluid that would be present.

Tell him to breath and relax and continue playing he is safe from getting HIV in this way.

HIV in this way?
window period