PEP for unprotect vaginal sex

A few hours ago I had vaginal sex with a man. We were using a condom but it broke and he ejaculated inside of me. I have already taken Plan B emergency contraception, but Im worried about HIV. My partner has never been tested for STIs so his HIV status is unknown. Would Post Exposure Prophylaxis be recommended in this situation? Im an American but Im currently in Peru and the guy I had sex with is Peruvian, if that makes any difference in terms of risk.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- Yes, this would certainly consistent a significant exposure risk for HIV and I would suggest considering PEP if you can acquire it within the 72 hour window. I'm not sure of the availability in Peru but in the US we advise going to the Emergency Room if you don't have a doctor who you know to prescribe. If you are in touch with the male partner getting him tested might alleviate ongoing fears and could allow you to stop PEP if he was found to be negative. Hope that helps. Take care, LHW

Prostate massage
infection re occuring