abundance of white cells seen on pap culture HIV?

Hi Dr.Glenn I'm hoping that you can ease some of my fear. I went to my local health department last week because I was having some very mild vaginal itching. The nurse practitioner gave me a pap to see if i had a simple yeast infection. when she came back into the room, she looked totally freaked out. She then told me that I had trich and treated me for that. She also went ahead and treated me for Gonorrhea and chlamydia. However she went on to say that my culture showed a lot of white cells on it. I asked her what that ment and she said that means you may have something else. I'm terrified anout what that something else may be and have been driving my self insane about the whole situation, because this is a new partner and our condom broke. Oh and by the way I have an IUD, which I was told if I got a STD it would be bad. Is it possible to diagnose HIV by just seeing the abundance of white cells on a culture? My results do not come back for another week and I'm scared out of my mind. My partner went and she told him that she thinks he only has trich. Is it possible that the abundance of white cells is due to the fact that I have an IUD? Is it possible to get false negative HIV test results because I have an IUD. I had my last HIV test done in Jan at the very same clinic.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

The only way to know if someone has been infected with HIV is to get a HIV test. That's the only way.

It's true that a lot of white blood cells can indicate an infection, that's make sense since you were infected with Trich. If you also had Gonorrhea and/or Chlamydia that'd fit into that scenario.

All that said, the ways you can get Trich/Gonorrhea/Chlamydia are the same ways you can get HIV. So it's going to be important to get tested 3 months after your risk.

Hope this helps!

Erik

hiv from seat/chair
Precum Exposure... So Stupid!