Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

potential risk from water splash 2nd part
Jun 23, 2012

Hi Doctor Wohl,

Thank you very much for the answer of my previous question.

A follow up on my question, does you answer imply that the hiv virus would still be alive after those 5 min in the toilet water, but very much diluted by the environment, or completely gone by that period of time? Let's say I had small cuts or a fissure on my anus and there was in fact a brief contact with the contaminated water? I know this is a very improbable scenario, but what if it does happen, maybe not now and not to me but somewhere? What do you think, could it lead to a possible transmission?

Thanks again for your time, K from Europe

Response from Dr. Wohl

If in some strange world where the bizarre is commonplace someone placed a cup of HIV infected blood in a bowl of water, yes there would be viable virus in that nasty mix.

I am not sure that helps you in any way. The important thing is that even still, splashing this on your bottom would be very very very unlikely lead to HIV infection.

DW

Previous
can I move on..
Next
Please set my mind at ease Dr. Wohl!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.