vaginal ultrasound

I had a vaginal ultrasound done and the tech opened a new prob cover but dropped it on the floor, but she still used this prob cover on the vaginal wand that was inserted on me. My concern is what if HIV was on the floor and the probe was contaminated? I thought bodily fluids from other women could have fallen onto the floor during a procedure or on the way to the trash can. Or would the virus be inactive after being on the floor? I'm so worried because I am pregnant and I don't know whether to worry or not. Thanks.

This was very poor form on the part of the tech. I am sure you were shocked and that it was difficult to demand another probe be used. However, in the future you should feel free to voice your concern if health care providers are not using proper caution.

The good news is that I see no risk here. It requires too many ifs. IF the floor had secretions, IF the secretions came from someone with HIV, IF there was enough HIV still viable, IF the probe touched the viable HIV, IF there was enough of the viable virus on the probe, etc. It just would snot add up.

So, I would complain about the poor technique but not worry. I assume you will have HIV testing as part of peri-natal care anyway and that should assuage your concerns.

My curiousity and anal sex?
HIV from glass shard