Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom broke with pro
Jun 23, 2012

HELP! Condom broke with sex worker

Shannon, I'm very ashamed of how selfish I've been. I'm in the same boat as the article above but I immediately replaced the condom and had sex a couple of more times with a couple of more condoms. After I immediately washed and used hydrogen peroxide on my penis and testicles. I had some cephalexin laying around so I took that too.

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi Not sure how being selfish has anything to do with your experience. You wore a condom, changed when it broke and cleaned yourself afterwards. Yes there is risk because of the condom breaking but unless you had an open sore on your penis the risk of HIV transmission is very small. You are more at risk for all of the other types of sexually transmitted infections. Of course the only way to truly know your status for any STI is to be tested. For HIV it is being tested initially at 3 weeks post exposure then again at 3 months. If both tests are negative then so are you! For the other STI's either upon symptoms or prior to receiving testing and/or treatment if necessary.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
HIV concern from a beverage
Next
Period during unprotected sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.