|HIV Infection and Transmission
Jun 22, 2012
If today I became infected with HIV, how soon can I infect someone else through unprotected sex or sharing needles?
| Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman
Hello there- You can transmit the virus as soon as you have detectable virus in your genital secretions or blood. The exact number of days will differ for each individual but I would say within a few days to a week. If you think you may have been infected, get tested so you can take the proper precautions. Take care, LHW
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Hiv Attacking The White Blood Cells
- Why Do I Always Have Bacterial Vaginosis?
- What Specialists Treat Shingles Disease?
- On What Part Of Your Body Can You Have An Outbreak From Herpes
- What Is The Normal Range On Herpes 2 Igg Test?
- Risk Using No Condom When One Partner Has Herpes But Not On An Outbreak
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.