|HIV Infection and Transmission
Jun 22, 2012
If today I became infected with HIV, how soon can I infect someone else through unprotected sex or sharing needles?
| Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman
Hello there- You can transmit the virus as soon as you have detectable virus in your genital secretions or blood. The exact number of days will differ for each individual but I would say within a few days to a week. If you think you may have been infected, get tested so you can take the proper precautions. Take care, LHW
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can You Get Hiv Because You Have Small Cuts On Your Fingers?
- When They Do The Hiv Blood Test Do They Also Check For Herpes?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes From Infected Person?
- Ways To Get Chlamydia Other Than Sex
- Vitamin B Complex To Help Hpv
- What To Do If Treatment Did Not Work For Gonorrhea Or Chlamydia?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.