Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i worry?
Jun 20, 2012

I had unprotected sex with someone a few months ago and maybe like a week or two I started feeling horrible. My throat started closing ad I was having regular headaches. I got that checked out and the doctor said I had a post nasal drip. so since then I have been worrying myself like crazy while still trying to convince myself I don't have HIV. I have really bad nerves and anxiety and thought that was the cause of it. Since then I have started showing symptoms of frequent sore throat, dry skin/ scalp, tension headaches, I'm hot most of them time but my temp is always under 98.6 (I'm younger than 30), sinus issues, muscle pain, I'm tired more than usual, abdominal pain, and have gained a lot more weight. I was also treated for chlamydia, but didn't check back because of recent relocation.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Having unprotected vaginal or anal sex does pose a significant risk for HIV (unprotected oral sex poses a much lower risk). This means it's important for you to be tested at 3 months to make sure you know your current status.

As for symptoms, it's a natural reaction to risk to think "if i'm sick, there'll be something that'll tell me." Unfortunately with HIV, the symptoms that could occur, are also the same symptoms that could happen for dozens of other conditions. The test is the ONLY way to know.

You're fortunate right now that you've waited enough time to get an accurate test result. Your challenge right now is to manage your nerves and anxiety in the meantime if you're not ready to take it. Talking with a trusted friend or counselor can help you manage you feelings and help you get to the point where you can get tested.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Can std's be passed from shared make-up compact placed on open acne (pimples that have blood/tiny bit of impetigo)
Next
Oral Sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.