Bareback Anal Sex with an HIV-Positive Partner

I am HIV-negative and I'm going to be having anal sex with a guy who is HIV-positive. He doesn't want me to wear a condom and he wants me to ejaculate inside him. I'd prefer to wear a condom but may I ask: what are the risks of acquiring HIV if I did not wear a condom and ejaculated inside of him?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks so much for your question,

If you're having unprotected sex with someone who you know is HIV positive, there is a risk of getting HIV. Even if you're the top, there still is risk. There's relatively less risk than if you were the bottom that's for sure though, but condom use is definitely advised.

Since you're telling me that you prefer to wear a condom to keep yourself safe, part of this conversation is about how to make sure that you're able to have the kind of sex you want, the way you want, and in the healthiest way you can.

In addition to condom use though, there are other ways to keep yourself safe:

- talking with your partner beforehand to make sure you're on the same page

- if your partner is HIV positive, having an undetectable viral load and no recent STDs can make it harder to get/give HIV

There are many other options listed in our archives, check them out!

Ultimately the decision is up to you on how to proceed. You're in a good position because you are getting more information about how to keep yourself safe.

Hope this helps!

Erik

i am a mess
Can std's be passed from shared make-up compact placed on open acne (pimples that have blood/tiny bit of impetigo)