Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could I have HIV?
Jun 12, 2012

K so I last performed unprotected oral sex on the guy I was dating and was with another married woman at the same time on 2/4/2012. A week later I feel aches in my muscles and I have a sore throat. Also red blisters in my throat. I start to get a skin rash that's kind of patchy that makes my skin lighter and darker ( I have brown skin). The sore throat goes away but the skin thing remains and my skin burns, little bumps pop up like folliculittis and my eyes are always swollen sometimes. I had a little pustule on the inside of my arm that kinda erupted in pus and it was the only one I had, but it still scared me. And my tongue turned green like I have an infection. I brush it and it never came back. Anyway, I'm freaking out so on 2/24/2012. I get a full blood test from A-Z: HIV 1 and 2, Herpes Simplex 1 and 2, The clap ,gonorrhea, and syphilis. They all come out negative. The skin thing still continues and get HIV 1 and 2 rapid blood tested on 4/02/12 and it still came out negative. On 4/28/2012 almost 90 days later I get a full blood work again and even get HIV 1 DNA tested (They didn't offer HIV 2 DNA testing) and all the results for STDS and HIV came back negative both blood and DNA. Its now May 15 and I'm so freaked out I never want to have sex again. I'm only 27 and I want to become a nun. Could it be possible that the HIV is on my skin but not showing up in blood tests? I remember the girl kissing my neck. Did the lab make a mistake? I'm having like panic attacks every day. Could I have gotten HIV from kissing someone?

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you. You have gone through this and some more, you are HIV negative. HIV does not survive on your skin it has to be in body fluid. My first thought was that you had picked up another type of sexually transmitted infection but again with all the tests you have had run these are showing negative as well. You cannot get HIV from kissing.

If your symptoms continue I would follow up with your health care provider to have them evaluate the symptoms you are having. I feel comfortable saying that you do not have HIV.

Be well and stay safe, Shannon

Previous
hiv from dental procedure
Next
is semen on chapped lips(wound open) considered high risk for HIV transmission?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.