Flu-like symptoms

I had an encounter with a guy last Saturday -- it was penetrative anal sex and he was using a condom. At the end of the encounter we came on each others chests so some semen landed on my chest.

Last Thursday (4-5 days later) I started getting some flu like symptoms such as a sore throat, and headache and inflamed lymph nodes

I know this could be many things such as a common bacterial/viral infection but I'm wondering am I at risk of HIV? Or are the symptoms too soon / was I protected?

Thanks

Hi Protected anal sex is the best way to go and gives you the protection that you need against HIV transmission. Yes 4-5 days later is too soon for HIV symptoms to begin, but not too soon for other sexually transmitted infections. You were protected but I would encourage a full STI screening which should include HIV. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you.

Scared
HIV transmission