Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmitting resistence
Jun 9, 2012

I have a partner that has a resistence to Atripla, more specifically they think sustiva. I am on Atripla and with my health situation they cant currently take me off of it to switch to another medication. What I was wondering is if it is possible, with us both being on medications and are both undetectable, if there is a risk of him transmitting the resistence to me?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Good question! There could be a risk under certain circumstances. If your partner's viral load were to spike, he would be infectious to you during unprotected sex. Further, if some of the Sustiva resistant virus were to be transmitted that could lead to failure of your Atripla. With his viral load load, he probably is not shedding virus, resistant or otherwise.

This risk is small, especially if he stays on his meds. We are getting a better understanding of the virus that people transmit to others and it is not some random HIV among the swarm in circulation in the body. Specific types of 'founder' virus lead the transmission charge. And, sadly, some of these can be resistant to HIV meds.

So, I would continue to use condoms given your dependance on Atripla and his history of resistance.

DW

Previous
HIV/AIDS
Next
chylamida treatment and sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.