Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Transmisson
Jun 5, 2012

I was out shopping with my 2 year old son, he was walking and eating a sandwich, his sandwich fell on the ground and he picked it up and put it in his mouth, i am not sure if he picked something else up that was not his sandwich and ate it, if it was something that someone else spat out could he catch hiv from something someone else was eating then spat out? also he dropped his ice cream in macdonalds and licked it off the table, could he catch hiv from this? i am really worried, please help

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

HIV is not transmitted this way. First, one of four fluids must be present for transmission to even be a possibility. Those fluids are blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk. Secondly, the virus needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. Direct access to the bloodstream can occur during penetrative sex, sharing needles, accidental needle-sticks, or during breast-feeding. The virus does not live well outside of the body and is not transmitted from casual encounters, like the ones you are describing.

Bottom line: Your son was not at risk.

I would suggest reading up on the sections regarding HIV transmission. One day you will need to be prepared to discuss the details of HIV transmission and safe-sex practices with your son. I would recommend reading the section on HIV transmission here on the body to start. It will provide you with all of the information you will need to know when it is time to have that conversation.

In health,

Richard

Previous
HIV testing at 6 weeks (2nd time asking)
Next
i have a positive bf and im negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.