HIV Transmisson

I was out shopping with my 2 year old son, he was walking and eating a sandwich, his sandwich fell on the ground and he picked it up and put it in his mouth, i am not sure if he picked something else up that was not his sandwich and ate it, if it was something that someone else spat out could he catch hiv from something someone else was eating then spat out? also he dropped his ice cream in macdonalds and licked it off the table, could he catch hiv from this? i am really worried, please help

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi, there:

HIV is not transmitted this way. First, one of four fluids must be present for transmission to even be a possibility. Those fluids are blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk. Secondly, the virus needs direct access to the bloodstream for transmission to occur. Direct access to the bloodstream can occur during penetrative sex, sharing needles, accidental needle-sticks, or during breast-feeding. The virus does not live well outside of the body and is not transmitted from casual encounters, like the ones you are describing.

Bottom line: Your son was not at risk.

I would suggest reading up on the sections regarding HIV transmission. One day you will need to be prepared to discuss the details of HIV transmission and safe-sex practices with your son. I would recommend reading the section on HIV transmission here on the body to start. It will provide you with all of the information you will need to know when it is time to have that conversation.

In health,

Richard

HIV testing at 6 weeks (2nd time asking)
i have a positive bf and im negative